Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Day in the life of Soweto Patrick Jabulani Kuhlwayo Conti

In italics are thoughts throughout the day

7:00 – woke up around 6:30, prayed for 30 or 45 mins

8:00 – Ate breakfast

- Lifted weights à thinking bout Dave Crowder song, “Revolutionary Love” hmm… Christ’s love is so radical, so big, so revolutionary…how can I better receive & reflect such a love
- Showered

9:00 – Drove to Office at Cooper Center in Mbabane…bout 7 minute drive

-In Office:
- Prepped for staff meeting
- Talked with Roger & Nathi about upcoming camp
- Their upcoming schedules
- ministering in schools around Mbabane

10:00 – Staff Meeting

- Worship
- Prayer
- Talked about what it means to truly seek God with all your heart
o Takes humility, dependence on God, listening to God’s voice, it takes honesty, centrality of Jesus, surrendering all, a journey of radical love, trust and faith…God wants our heart
- We then talked about what’s going on with all the different Carepoints & programs
11:00 – Staff Meeting

- We are rolling out a new strategic plan in order to make the Carepoints run with excellence. It involves having an ex-pat missionary, Nathi or Roger over 1 or 2 Carepoints as a site liaison or coordinator. This is to ensure accountability and to build depth into the relationships instead of trying to have true relationship with 10 different Carepoints. It will help us to go deeper, build into the teachers, cooks & children’s lives more effectively and help the Carepoint to truly be what we want it to be. Its exciting but it’ll take a lot of work and prayers to make the change
12:00 – Kids Club Meeting

- Gugu, Charles & I met to talk about the direction and goals for our kids clubs.
- We talked about performance indicators for evaluation, monitoring & improvement
- We also talked about reconciling Mbabane to what is happening in Manzini

1:00 – Organized my desk, checked email, wrote something up for Roger, went to Lunch
With Van Rensburgs

2:00 – Lunch with Dave (Beano) & Sharon Van Rensburg

- Conversation Topics
o My parents
o My camping trip over the past weekend
o Tyrone
o Rwanda
o My Future
o Restaurants & food
o Mozambique
o Hiking

3:00 – Finished up Lunch

- went to Standard Bank (saw Wayne Wilson, another missionary from NYC)
- Returned to office

4:00 – Office

- Print Preliminery schedule for camp
- Think about camp budget
- Make a list of questions we need to ask ourselves as we are preparing for camp
- Drive home: the Rodgers house ( I live in a granny flat)

5:00 – Siswati Lesson

- “Sawubona” (Hi, or literally I saw you)
- “Yebo” (Yes)
- “Unjani” (How are you)
- Ngiyaphila (I’m good or literally I am having life)

6:00 – Siswati Lesson

- Usebentaphi? (where do you work?)
- Ngisebenta Ka Children’s Cup (I work at Children’s Cup)

7:00 – Dinner with Ben, Susan, Charles & Kristen

- Jambalaya, green beans, butternut, salad & rolls
- Coversation topics
o Siswati lesson
o Young’s car purchase
o Todd n Jen
o How Susan chose Levi’s name

8:00 - Finishing up dinner

- went to my room to write some thoughts on theme à “God’s plan for your life”

9:00 – Writing more & playing guitar

10:00 – still playing guitar, Read, “Jesus Style”

11:00 – Thinking about tomorrow

- What is revolutionary love, how can I personally show that, do I understand it?
- Tired, thinking about taking a trip, and about the upcoming World Cup
- Sleep

1:30 – I know, I know my day is up but got to put this in there

- I wake up hearing water flowing…is someone in my shower, did I leave the water on, is Miss Joyce taking a shower??? …I walk into my bathroom from my room only to step into about 2 inches of water … not good, this is a bad sign…so I continue on through the bathroom to the lounge area of my granny flat. I am greeted by smoke (note* I don’t have my contacts in)…oh great, I have a flood & fire going on at 1:30 in the morning, is that my ceiling on the floor, what is going on here…So a pipe burst and there was hot, hot water coming down through the ceiling which eventually brought down the ceiling itself, the smoke I thought I had seen was in fact steam, I then busied myself scurrying around the house to turn off the water…Miss Joyce woke up and helped me to clean up. I went to bed again around 3:00 in the morning, not that everything was cleaned up but I had defeated the floodwaters and taken everything outside to dry…I woke up to a lil personal African Katrina…not to say I went through anything like those people in NOLA but my much disoriented mind made that connection…

Check out Charles Blog for tomorrow’s “A Day in the Life Of”…he’s the most crazy, cool cat in Swaziland with a big heart for Jesus…he’s bound to have stories and crazy thoughts to share

http://charlesandkristen.blogspot.com/

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pat! Are you okay? Poor Pat. If I were you I'd trade rooms with Levi.

Great blog.

Meemaw

Anonymous said...

Pat! Are you okay? Poor Pat. If I were you I'd trade rooms with Levi.

Great blog.

Meemaw

Anonymous said...

Hi Pat, I have enjoyed your recorded day, a lot different from South Louisiana! I have just ran into you by the Lord's design, I am sure.My name is Warrene Orgeron, a(cajun) Grandma, I was reading for several days about Children's Cup, and I felt that I needed to help in some way. In reading the info I saw that you were from La. but a "newbee" in the mission field, clicked on your Church info, and landed up in Pastor Deno's lap, he was at my church about 3 weeks ago, I am from Church of the King, so we are related. God made a big world, and then shrinks it just for us. Blessing
Warrene in ST. Tammany Parish