Sunday, August 05, 2007

Inside me

I often wonder why God chose me to go to Africa. Why am I called to do this? It might be fear or lack of courage but I often think about how it would be a lot easier to stay in the States. I was raised in America, where independence is mantra but God's called me so far to a life of interdependence. My calling requires me to depend on other people and the church for my food, my clothes, my ability to even do ministry. If I'm honest I hate it but I think some of that might be why God called me to it. It comes down to trust and will I let go of what I can do so that God can do what he does best, the impossible.

I've been blessed with so much, how can I procrastinate or pity my call to Africa. If I really sit back and think about it...I should be running full steam ahead to give all I can to the Jesus who gave me everything. Pray for me, that I might embrace my call, that I might let go of what I think is success.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmm.. Feeling you on that. Your going to do great. God loves us to be weak, that is when we are at our best and Him as well.

See you in Africa!!!

Anonymous said...

Totally true..God loves putting us in places that we aren't comfortable/don't like. He totally loves stretching us so that we have to rely on Him.

merrill5 said...

Thanks for the thoughs Patrick. I couldn't have said it better myself, although I'm feeling the same things on this side.
Transparency, humility, and interdependence... Amen

Anonymous said...

um... yeah. so i recently found this quote in a book i was reading, that goes along with what you just said. i've told like 50 people and no one else seems to think it is such a profound statement, but i do...so i'll keep telling people cause i think it's true.

"God will give us an extraordinary life to the degree to which we are willing to give up our ordinary one."

Anonymous said...

wow that is really good. What book was that from?

Anonymous said...

so apparently, i make up quotes now...

i looked it up and the actual quote is: "God grants us an uncommon life to the degree we surrender our common one." (p. 84)

from the book- "Cure for the Common Life" by Max Lucado

Amy, I read all the time, so just let me know if you want any book suggestions (brittanybarbera@yahoo.com)

Sarah Head said...

yeah, it's a daily thing-- learning to love like He loves..

by the way, did you know that there is a Conti Street in the middle of New Orleans? haha, i thought that was cool...

~anj~ said...

I love how our Great God knows exactly what we need even if its sometimes being uncomfortable...but He still remains Worthy!!!!!
Blessings in Africa...hopefully one day I'll see you there!!!!