Monday, April 16, 2007

Obedience, America, Walking in love...

" Most of us are educated way beyond our level of obedience. We don't need more information. We need more transformation. We need to stop explaining what people already understand. A little less explanation. A lot more exhortation. " - Mark Batterson

Mark came and spoke at Healing Place Church a couple of weeks ago. He seems to be able to find a timeless truth in any situation or subject. I love when God uses creative guys like Mark to bring the simple message of the cross. I also love and am convicted by the above quote. Let's make our faith practical...it seems like I've struggled to do that here in the States. It was what my life was in Swaziland -showing the love of Christ- but I feel stuck sometimes back here in the States.

ok, comments time: What are some ways you've been able to show the love of Christ recently? Please respond, I desperately want to know of ways to practically walk out our faith in 21st century America.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I struggle with that myself...especially when I am at work and feel as though there is no purpose in it/I am not doing anything worthwhile. But, I've been trying to see opportunities in everything, wherever I am at that moment. I guess I've learned to get creative. I mean, we don't have to be doing an offical outreach to show the love of Christ.

I think a lot of times, we see so many problems and they just seem too big & we feel like we can't possibly do anything to contribute. But that way of thinking just gives us an excuse to do nothing.

But, showing kindness/acting out our faith doesn't mean that we have to solve all these problems or even do something drastic (because when it all boils down, God is the only one capable of handling that responsibility anyway). We just have to do what we can do with the means we have available. If we can do something big, great. If not, we have to look for opportunities and simply do what we can when we can.

For example, the other day at work this lady came in with her kids and it was obvious that she was stressed out/needed help. So I offered to help her out & hold her baby while she was trying to get her other daughter under control/bundled up to go outside. Just something simple, but I like to think it made a difference to that mother to get a different reaction than the usual eye rolls/stares/"shut your kid up already" comments she is used to getting.

I guess what I am saying is, even if we don't have the means to do something elaborate, we can still do something, no matter how small, to impact the life of someone...even if it is just one person at a time...because a kind word/action at least makes a difference to that individual.

C.D. said...

Anytime I go out to eat, I try to find someone that when I look at, I feel a tug on my heart from God, and I bless them with a few dollars. I make sure to tell them the truth about how I felt like God was telling me that they needed a blessing. Their faces always light up and it makes not only their day, but mine too.